Adoption timeline

Lilypie

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Kids rock

For every moment my children have driven me to the brink (c'mon, we have all had those moments where we have felt like crazy people - saying ridiculous things such as, "Eat the broccoli or we WILL NOT SWIM!" Really? Are the two related??? or "STOP PRETENDING TO POKE YOUR BROTHER!") we have 100 moments where I feel so unbelievably blessed to be a mom. We are on 24 hour high in my house right now. My husband is awesome, but one of the things I most admire about him is his ability to accept our children for who they are and encourage them in every way. That probably sounds odd - because of course I accept my guys as individuals, but I think I am more likely to say, "They are night and day - so very different!" than he is. We have decided it is important to give them as much one on one time as possible before baby girl comes home. This weekend, Dennis took Reilly to Atlanta to catch two Red Sox vs. Braves games. We could have all gone, but Colby really has little interest in baseball, and would have found the 5 hour car ride torturous. Reilly, on the other hand, thought it was the greatest opportunity ever! Today they are touring Georgia Tech. Reilly is 7, but he will love it. It will give him some reference point for all the GT / ACC match ups. My heart is so full thinking of how happy he is right now. How great he gets to share it with Daddy.
Colby and I have had fun too! Yesterday we went to the water park. I really didn't know what to expect. We had a BLAST. Colby knows no fear. I, on the other hand, am a wimp! He definitely had to encourge met to go on several of the slides. He did all but the two I refused to allow him to ride. Bear in mind, he is about a half inch shorter than the requirement to ride most of the rides, but he did them anyway. There were a few that I had my eyes closed tight just waiting for them to end, and the minute we finished, he grinned and said, "Let's do it again!" But the pure delight on his face made it all worthwhile and we stayed for 5 and a half hours! I was so exhausted last night and he was just fine. Colby talks non stop and simply has the most wonderful spirit. He is open minded and accepting - if you are willing to have fun, he is willing to have fun with you - whomever you may be! What I love about him is that places like water parks attract all sorts of folks, and he just smiles and says hi to everyone he comes in contact with. I swear, God gave me Colby to eradicate the judgemental side of my personality. We can learn a lot from our kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment